SSD expansion solution for Mac mini M4 and M4 Pro models

London
Joined December 2024
Mac mini M6 / M5 Pro have updated design to have the SSD NANDs soldered onto the motherboard 🫠 Not what we are hoped for! expandmacmini.com/blogs/news…
15
22
14
218
274,476
Incoming business 😌
M6 just dropped M6 Mac Mini starts at $899 now 😮 apple.com/newsroom/2026/08/a…
3
1
8
986
Expand Mac mini retweeted
Spent an hour last night debugging "the internet is down, but intranet works" on a Mac mini, our in house container for dozens of 24/7 agent loops ping worked. SSH worked. Existing connections worked. Every new TCP connection died instantly with "Can't assign requested address." I chased DNS, the firewall, the proxy, ephemeral ports, kernel buffers. All wrong. at one point all evidence pointed to a potential bug caused by one component in Phi Browser, i created an urgent issue and assigned to one of our devs ... Uptime: 49d 19h 36m macOS keeps its TCP clock (tcp_now) in a uint32 of milliseconds. At 2^32 ms (49d 17h 02m 47s) it wraps, a monotonicity check decides the new time is "in the past", and the TCP clock freezes forever. TIME_WAIT stops expiring, ephemeral ports leak away, new connections die. Old ones live on, which is what makes it so hard to see. We were 2.5 hours past the fuse. TIME_WAIT that keeps growing while nothing is running. Confirmed on macOS 26.2, M4. Only a reboot fixes it. Until Apple does something to fix this shenanigan, only fix is: reboot your 24/7 mac every 49 days
2
1
4
388
All SSDs available at Expand Mac mini are now fully restocked. No more backorder, for now 😬
3
603
Because of ongoing NAND supply issues and memory shortage on general, the price of 2T SSD for Mac mini M4 (non-Pro) will increase to $420. This takes effect on 11 Mar 2026 at 00:00 GMT. Active backorders will not be affected. We have also added 1TB variant for the M4 Mac mini SSD at $300, ready to dispatch immediately. 🫠
1
1
5
692
oh hey
Mac mini base model is $599 but only comes with 256 GB of memory Upgrading to 1TB SSD almost doubles the cost (+$400) For <$200, you can plug an external 1TB SSD via thunderbolt 5 cable for similar perf You won't notice the read/write perf difference, it's not the bottleneck
846
Correction: the price increase date is 15 Jan 2026 (GMT). Apologies for the confusion, supply chain brain fog 🫠
1
2
667
Our homegrown SSDs for Mac mini M4 Pro are in final on device testing stage, offering 2TB and 4TB variants. Before we place actual order to our manufacturing partner, we'd like to know if y'all Mac mini M4 Pro owners would be interested??? Let us know by commenting please 🙏🏻
1
1
5
729
Looks like we may have a grace period with the tariff shenanigans, phew 🥹
1
857
Great news to share this week! 🚚✨ We've exceeded our original shipping targets and all orders up to #4047 are now on their way to you guys. #ShippingGoals #CustomerFirst
1
6
1,250
Perfection takes time! 🧪 Our Mac mini SSDs now undergo 100% testing (1hr each!) causing shipping delays. See thread for March shipping schedule and why quality control is our #1 priority. Transparency matters to us!
2
4
1,015
📦 Here's our March 2025 shipping timeline: Week 1 (9th): Orders up to #2885 ✅ Week 2 (16th): Orders up to #3158 ✅ Week 3 (23rd): Orders up to #3604 Week 4 (30th): Orders up to #4011 We'll update weekly and aim to exceed these targets! Full details: expandmacmini.com/news/shipp…
3
5
916
⏱️ Why the wait? We've moved from testing 30% to 100% of units after early quality issues. Each SSD gets full DFU restoration, macOS setup, and performance checks. Currently testing 50-80 daily while expanding capacity. Quality first—worth the wait!
1
3
717
🚨Heads up! Expand Mac Mini prices are going up tomorrow due to crazy chip costs & stricter factory QC (X-ray checks in pics!). Existing orders are locked in. Future prices will be dynamic. 🏭 #QualityFirst
5
7
1,927
Due to increased demand and rising costs for NAND chips, the price of the Mac mini M4 SSD 2TB will increase to 320 USD / 254 GBP from 24th February 2025.
2
1
5
1,558